Sentiers du Patrimoine ®
Commeny

Poursuivre et tourner à droite dans la rue de la Hurée jusqu’au panneau sur les fermes du bourg.
As the name of the street suggests, Commeny once had a castle. However, its owner was in fact the Lord of Moussy. Its park stretched from the present-day Rue de la Cour Bouillette to the southern end of the village, and much of its surrounding wall has survived intact.
Built in 1740, the castle was sold to a Parisian gentleman in 1775, before being partially demolished during the following century for reasons that remain unknown. Some of its buildings and sections of wall were reused in the construction of the farmhouses along Rue du Château.
This street actually runs through the original site of the building itself. The wrought-iron entrance gate to the park has also survived in the village, although it may have been slightly moved when it was reused as the gateway to No. 3 Grande Rue.
Very little remains of the castle, whose wings formed a U-shaped layout. The best-preserved element is a dressed-stone pavilion, topped with a slate roof and featuring a dormer window.
Further along the street, at No. 5 Rue du Château, the castle’s outbuildings were converted first into a farm and later into a private house. Across the street, at No. 2, a cart shed and a barn are thought to have belonged to the castle farm before its destruction.
It is difficult to determine the date of the well located in the recess between the houses on Rue du Château. More than 30 metres deep, it provided easier access to water. However, its current form is more reminiscent of a drinking trough — perhaps it was installed here as a reminder of the earlier well.

