Sentiers du Patrimoine ®


Maison des artistes

Informations directionnelles

Prendre tout droit en direction de La Roche Guyon. Un kilomètre plus loin, passer devant l’église troglodytique ; entrer dans le cimetière pour découvrir à gauche le mémorial du Docteur Gaudichard.

Prochain point :

Mémorial du Docteur Gaudichard

Prochain point : lat="49.0831855134493" lon="1.6590199914318"

The artists' house
This house in the town dates from the end of the 18th century.

It was home to two great artists...

This house was inhabited by two artists : an English painter, Charles Conder (1868-1909), then  author, Robin Fedden (1909-1977), also English. In Paris in 1890, Charles Conder studied at the Atelier Cormon. A friend of Toulouse-Lautrec (1864-1901), Conder is represented among the figures in the background of Lautrec's work  Au Moulin rouge, les deux valseuses (At the Moulin Rouge: Two Women Waltzing). The painting hangs in the Prague National gallery, the Národní Galerie. In 1894, Conder moved to London, but made frequent trips to Normandy and Dieppe where he visited his friends  Jacques-Émile Blanche and Fritz Thaulow and painted scenes of gardens and beaches in oil.
Robin Fedden is the author of “Chantemesle, A Normandy Childhood” (republished in 2002). He offers up a poetic vision of life on the banks of the Seine in the magic and nostalgic time of his childhood.

by Expression Nomade