Sentiers du Patrimoine ®



Informations directionnelles

Prendre à droite dans la rue du Moutier. Au bout de la rue, prendre en face une ruelle sous le porche. Prendre à droite puis à gauche la rue du Moulin Neuf. Contourner le terrain de tennis sur la droite. Arriver sur la route, prendre à droite, puis tout de suite à gauche le chemin des Clos. Au bout tourner à gauche, puis pendre à droite le chemin des Croiselles et encore à droite emprunter la sente Colette. Arriver place de la mairie, prendre l’escalier à gauche de la mairie et emprunter la rue de la Croix Blanche puis à droite la Ruelle du Moulin. Traverser la route de Mantes et prendre en face le chemin descendant. Sur votre gauche se trouve un ancien moulin

Prochain point :

Prochain point : lat="" lon=""

The last of the two communal washhouses



Classic architecture with a certain comfort...

This river washhouse, fed by Goulée brook is surrounded on three sides by high rendered rubblestone walls. Around the single rectangular pool, the washing tiles (stones sloping towards the river) line two sides. The laundresses knelt on the sandstone paving stones in a washing box or crate. The two-sided impluvium roof allowed the rainwater to fall into the middle of the pool. The interesting feature in this washhouse is the unusual position of the wooden posts in the pool. The brick oven provided ash that was used as a stain remover. The heat of the oven offered a little comfort during the hard work in bad weather. a place frequented in the late nineteenth century

This washhouse dates back to 1838. In 1858, the City Council decided to demolish the original building and build a bigger, more practical one in its place. The masonry work, carpentry and piping were paid for by a major grant following the law of February 3, 1851 passed by Parliament.



by Expression Nomade