Sentiers du Patrimoine ®


Hotel de Saussay- Hotel de Crosne- Mairie

Informations directionnelles

Rejoindre le parking de la mairie, le traverser puis rejoindre le parc. Prendre le chemin vers la droite, puis la rue du four à chaux. A l’intersection, prendre à droite. Au carrefour, prendre à gauche, la rue Jean Baptiste Santerre. Continuer tout droit jusqu’au parking. Avant ledit parking, emprunter la sente sur la droite (rue du jardinet). Prendre la première rue à gauche. En traversant la rue, vous vous trouvez devant l’hôpital (ancien couvent des bénédictines).

Prochain point :

Ancien couvent des bénédictines- Hotel Dieu

Prochain point : lat="49.1546" lon="1.78511"

Hôtel de Saussay - Hôtel de Crosne - Town Hall
A mansion in neo-classical style



Built by an expert architect...

In 1778 Louis-Emmanuel Damesme built a house, now located in the rear courtyard, for Nicolas Siméon Dumont, the master hotelier at the Bras d'Or. Damesme - an architect from an old Magny family of masons - worked extensively in the town as well as in Paris (the Théâtre de la Société Olympique in Rue de la Victoire) and Brussels (the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie and the prison). In 1786 he built a second building in the neo-classical style alongside the street. This style, which was a reaction against the exuberance of the baroque and rococo, is characterised by large walls made of dressed and cut stone, straight lines and numerous symmetrical, rectangular windows. On the ground floor of this particular building, a carriage entrance opens onto a vestibule decorated with columns and a monumental turning staircase. The first floor served as reception rooms; the second floor was given over to private apartments; and the third included only two bedrooms and an attic. The Italian-style roof formed a terrace.



... for illustrious occupants

Nicolas Siméon Dumont sold the mansion in 1784 to Emmanuel Edmond Aimé Saussay, the King’s apothecary in Saint Domingue and Damesme’s godfather. Neither of the first two owners had the opportunity to stay in the mansion. The house changed hands several times from 1792 onwards, belonging initially to a merchant from Paris and then to a defrocked priest, regicide deputy and prefect for Creuse. The property was owned from 1817 by the Feuilloley family, with three generations living there. It was not until 1949 that the mansion became the town hall for Magny-en-Vexin.





by Expression Nomade