Sentiers du Patrimoine ®


Château de la Sergenterie

Informations directionnelles

Continuer à monter puis prendre à gauche et de suite à droite, on débouche sur un parking, le traverser en diagonale pour rejoindre la passerelle et passer au dessus des voies. En face de vous, on découvre l'hôtel de la gare (4).

Prochain point :

Hôtel de la Gare

Prochain point : lat="48.99123" lon="1.845918"

Château de la Sergenterie
The Juziers residence of a minister of Napoleon III



From the château de la Sergenterie...

The château’s name refers to the office of sergeant who, under the Ancien Régime, was an officer of the court. A sale agreement from 1578 mentions the name of the Sergenterie.
Rebuilt in 1752, the Sergenterie is a beautiful country residence with very sober architecture. To the east are the horseshoe-shaped main entrance and servants’ quarters, whose appearance remained largely unchanged until the last war.
In 1837 the land between the Seine and Rue de la Poste was purchased by Pierre-Jules Baroche, a young lawyer practicing in Paris. Baroche was a municipal councillor in Juziers from 1840 to 1870, and was involved in restoring the church. After serving as a deputy, he was appointed attorney general of Paris by Napoleon III. Baroche held a variety of ministerial functions up to the fall of the Empire in 1870. Baroche’s wife - Célestine Le Tellier - writes about this patch of paradise (where her family had its roots) with great sensitivity in her Causeries et Souvenirs de Voyages. It was one of Baroche’s sons who planted the avenue of chestnut trees that leads down to the Seine.



… to the primary school

The Sergenterie was half destroyed by an explosion at the Liberation. The municipality bought the estate in 1947 in order to set up the ‘Sergenterie school group’. The nursery school that was built in the park in 1977 is called the Ecole du Parc. A new school building was opened in November 2011 so that the school could be extended and to accommodate a leisure centre.





by Expression Nomade