Sentiers du Patrimoine ®


Foyer du Moulin Vert

Informations directionnelles

Continuer cette rue, passer devant la mairie puis découvrir l’église Notre-Dame à gauche dans le virage. Longer les bâtiments du château (rue des tilleuls), au bout de ces bâtiments, tourner à gauche ; vous arrivez à la grille du château. Face au château découvrez aussi la belle allée de tilleuls.

Prochain point :


Prochain point : lat="49.046025" lon="1.855272"

Foyer du Moulin Vert
'Le Prévent', 'Le Foyer' and 'Le Moulin Vert': three different names for the same place



Built for the purpose of welcoming guests...

In the early twentieth century, there were plans for a railway line to pass through the Vexin villages. In 1914, and in anticipation of the railway's arrival, Mr Poyau built a hotel with the aim of accommodating tourists seeking fresh country air. But the project for the railway never got off the drawing board. During the First World War, the new owners, the Fould family, sheltered a group of young people from Alsace here, who had fled from their homes to escape the annexation of their province by Prussia. At the end of the war, the Fould family gave the building to Abbey Viollet, who used it as a preventorium, an establishment that provided quarantine accommodation for people suffering from tuberculosis. When their disease was active, the patients would go to the sanatorium. During the Second World War, the patients were transferred to Sarzeau in the Morbihan region, as the building was damaged by a bomb. After closing in 1958 and being converted into a residence for young workers, the building was converted into a children's home in 1961, with the aim of providing shelter for around 40 at-risk youngsters.



...and flooded with sunlight

The building featured an overhanging hipped roof and many windows, as well as a gallery-cum-terrace on the top floor, since sunbathing was a good form of therapy in the treatment of tuberculosis. This splendid house's façade was punctuated with many windows, and ivy grew all the way up the walls to the gallery-cum-terrace, which was supported by six wooden posts.





by Expression Nomade