Sentiers du Patrimoine ®


Lavoir du Chat Noir

Informations directionnelles

Revenir sur la rue du Chat Noir, prendre à droite et de nouveau à droite. Retourner sur la place et aller jusqu’à l’ancien prieuré, puis jusqu’à la plaque d’Eglise.

Prochain point :

Prochain point : Fin du parcours.

The lavoir du Chat Noir
At the end of Chat Noir trail



Typical architecture...

This lavoir or wash-house was constructed in the second half of the 19th century, a period during which local rural governments sought to improve the daily lives of residents, often by building water infrastructure. It is a small lavoir, consisting of one single basin, accessible on one side only. From its source runs a brook that flows into the Genainville stream. The frame of the sloping roof is supported by one of the side walls and two wooden beams.



...with an atypical name

Why the “Chat Noir”?
This was a time when, writers, singers and artists would meet and share their work in fashionable Paris cabarets, open for the entertainment of all. The lavoir owes its name to the famous Montmartre cabaret: Le Chat Noir (the Black Cat), founded in 1881 by sometime painter, sketch-artist, comedian, sculptor, engraver and journalist, Rodolphe Salis. Salis moved to the village in 1885 and around 1889, Genainville became known as the domain of Chanoirville-en-Vexin (Black cat city in Vexin), thus named by Salis. As “lord” of the domain, Salis was a generous host who did not hesitate to invite his numerous friends to visit. Guests would gather in front of Le Chat Noir and then head to Saint-Lazare train station for the long journey to Magny-en-Vexin, via Chars. They were then transported to Genainville along the road following the Aubette stream in horse-drawn carriages. These noisy processions through the village created some conflict with the local government of the day.





by Expression Nomade