Sentiers du Patrimoine ®


Lavoir à Paulin

Informations directionnelles

Descendre vers la route de Villers, la prendre sur la gauche jusqu’au monument aux morts.

Prochain point :

Monuments de commémoration

Prochain point : lat="49.12149222" lon="1.696431378"

The Lavoirs
For each hamlet, its own lavoir, or almost!



The lavoir à Paulin…

Built in 1889 on the source of the fountain known as “à Paulin”, this lavoir, or wash-house, could accommodate a large number of washerwomen. Its architecture is typical of the lavoirs built in the mid-19th century in Vexin français. Rectangular in shape, it is closed on all sides and structured around two basins, one for washing and the other for rinsing, with washing tiles on three sides. Its interlocking tile roof rests on rubble stone walls, roughly coated in lime plaster. This lavoir is unusual in that it has toilets in the rear.



…Among others

To satisfy the needs of the inhabitants of the various different hamlets, several lavoirs were constructed over the course of the 19th century. In Villarceaux, the Vinette lavoir served both the inhabitants of Villarceaux and those of Essarts, Méré and Culfroid. On November 27, 1853, the local council voted to build a roof over the lavoir for the comfort of the washerwomen. Another covered lavoir was built West of Chaussy, in the Marais locality. One of the last covered lavoirs was built in 1891 in the hamlet of Haute-Souris, where you can also find an open, natural source lavoir, named “des Petites Maisons”. Finally, a few small private lavoirs, which have since disappeared, were built along the Chaussy stream. The commune also contained five ponds/drinking troughs, also known as pediluvia, designed for farm animals.  





by Expression Nomade